Thursday, January 7, 2010

How to eat well with out planning

This week has been full of unplanned meals. I try to eat well even when I do not plan means out, but sometimes this can be difficult. We eat healthy even with out being WLS friendly, but even with that sometimes food just does not agree with me.

Last night we had stove top lasagna. This is something that I can eat and tollerate but not all WLS patients can. Pasta and breads do not bother me, and I can eat them, just in small portions.




Stove Top Lasagna
1lb ground meat (beef, turkey, pork) I used turkey
2 cups whole wheat egg noodles
1 Tbs minced garlic
1.5 Jars Spaghetti sauce
1/2 cup low fat cottage cheese
1/2 cup ricotta
Salt to taste
Pepper to taste
Italian seasonings to taste
Italian blend shredded cheese

In a large skillet or dutch oven cook the ground meat til there is no more pink and drain.

Return to heat and add in garlic, spaghetti sauce and uncooked pasta. Heat til boiling and then simmer for 10-13 minutes until the noodles are at your desired tenderness.

In a side bowl, mix together cottage cheese and ricotta until well blended. Add in salt, pepper and italian seasonings to taste, mix well.

Once noodles are finished, remove pan from heat and spoon in the cheese mixture and mix well. Top with shredded cheese blend.

I also made olive garden bread sticks to go with this. My husband loves them and I can have a few bites myself. It was a very delicious dinner that was wonderful in moderation.

No comments:

Post a Comment